Water Leak Adjustments for customers living in the Electoral Areas*
*Electoral Areas are the service areas located on Salt Spring Island, Southern Gulf Islands,Port Renfrew and Wilderness Mountain
Leak Adjustment Terms and Conditions
The Capital Regional District (CRD) recognizes customers from time to time experience a leak in their water system. In the event that this should occur, the CRD may adjust the water or sewer account to the property based on the following leak adjustment terms and conditions which were passed by Bylaw on December 12, 2012:
- The water leak is located in the customer’s main water pipe from the meter box to the customer’s premises and from circumstances beyond the consumer’s control.
- Please note the CRD will no longer allow adjustments for leaks in the internal plumbing systems and fixtures; including leaking faucets and toilets, hot water tanks, external taps and hoses left on and leaks in irrigation systems on the customer’s property.
- If a leak is suspected, customers are required to detect, repair and submit a leak adjustment application to the CRD Utility Billing department no later than 30 days from the billing date in order to receive an adjustment on their utility bill.
- Tangible proof of the repair, such as a plumber’s invoice or receipts for materials (if the home owner repairs the leak), need to accompany the leak adjustment application.
- Staff may inspect the repair prior to considering a water leak adjustment.
- If the leak adjustment is approved, the customer shall pay for the normal amount of water consumed at the current retail water rate based on the same billing period’s consumption in the previous year and the CRD shall absorb the remainder of the water consumption cost.
- The CRD will only consider a water leak adjustment for the billing period the leak was detected and if applicable, to the previous billing period in which the leak occurred to a maximum of two (2) billing periods.
- Only one leak adjustment for water and sewer per Property within a twelve (12) month period shall be permitted.
- Where the sewer charges are based on the water consumption volumes and a water leak adjustment has been approved, the consumption for sewer charges will be adjusted in accordance with the water consumption adjustment.
- Where the sewer charges are based on the water consumption volumes and a water leak is in an irrigation system, the CRD may adjust only the sewer portion in accordance with the water consumption adjustment criteria.